Monday, January 09, 2006

Planning you refactorings

So, it happened again. It is one of my starting game projects, and i just had to make a small refactor to extract a class. And before I knew it I was in hell. Creating more supporting classes, interfaces and implementing them, what have you. I was lucky this time, it was a "small" fix taking only an hour of concentrated work mostly fixing compiler bugs to see what I missed. But it could have been done better if I had been taking Martin Fowlers words seriously and done it in planned controlled steps.

The great part of this story is that I get to post my motto, which I haven't had the opportunity to do before!

It is not learning from you mistakes that is hard. It is applying that knowledge so that you don't make the mistake again.



Someday I'll learn and not end up doing what I did in december to the d20Sharp project that right now is in a non-compilable state somwhere in code-growing-cold limbo. I'll have to fix it soon.

No comments: